Angry Birds will officially launch—via slingshot—onto the big screen for “The Angry Birds Movie,” starring the voices of comedians Jason Sudeikis, Josh Gad, Bill Hader, Maya Rudolph and Danny McBride.
The film is based on the most downloaded game of all time—more than 3 billion times!
In the 3D animated comedy, the million-dollar question we have all been asking is finally answered: Why are the birds so angry?
Today I was invited to the Sony Pictures studio lot for a special “Sneak Beak” footage presentation of the film, where I got to pig out on eggs and bacon while hanging out with a live bird.
Following breakfast, a small group of lucky members of the press, including myself, were invited in to the theater to get an exclusive first look at the film followed by a Q&A with funny guys Sudeikis, Gad, McBride, and Hader, which might possibly the most hilarious and entertaining panel I have ever sat on. It was basically a free comedy show!
Here are 11 facts to get you excited for “The Angry Birds Movie”:
1. Not all the birds are angry! The movie takes place on an island populated by wingless, and therefore flightless, yet happy birds. The island has no technology (so there are no references to a video game) and has been described as “organic.” Only four of the birds have been diagnosed with anger issues and are subjected to anger management classes.
2. Important elements that fans know and love from the games are incorporated into the film: Angry, flightless birds with special powers fight green pigs that have stolen their eggs, and a really big slingshot that’s used to launch the birds to demolish the pigs’ horribly built buildings.
3. Jason Sudeikis has a lot to be angry about in his life. When asked if he has learned to let out his anger after voicing his character, Sudeikis sarcastically joked, “It has put me in touch with my inner-anger. Ton in my world to be angry and ticked off about… one thing after the other, from the person I get to sleep next to, a child, supportive family, and cool sisters and great friends… my anger bingo card is full.” So, it’s safe to say that Sudeikis, who is married to the beautiful Olivia Wilde, doesn’t fully relate to his character!
4. Sudeikis plays Red, the O.G. (original gangster) angry bird, the main mascot of the video game franchise and lead character in the film. Red is the dark cloud in an otherwise sunny and cheerful place. He’s the loner in the film who is just not a “bird person.” A lot of our favorite characters from the video game are given backstories, and it seems as though Red will have the greatest character arc. On voicing his character, Sudeikis explained that he found himself actually closing his eyes while he was in the sound booth in order to imagine what was actually happening in a scene.
5. Josh Gad, also known as the voice of Olaf, a cheerful and optimistic snowman in the worldwide Disney phenomenon “Frozen,” plays Chuck, the yellow bird which, in the game, holds the capability of launching itself with super speed and power. I’m going to call it right now: This is going to be the funniest character in the film; his character is super fast at everything. Fast at talking, moving, thinking, and troublemaking. He doesn’t have a filter, which always yields major laughs. Of the few scenes we got to see, his were absolutely hilarious! There are even a lot of Gad’s own mannerisms in the character’s animation.
6. Gad is probably not voting for Donald Trump. When asked what makes him the angriest, the actor responded, “I don’t know, hypothetical equations like… a reality TV star can be the next president of the United States… things like that, I guess?” “What makes me angry is being woken up on my birthday when I am supposed to be able to sleep with my wife giving me the news ‘Oh, I have to volunteer at school in an hour, can you watch the kids and let Time Warner Cable in, and also make coffee and make egg white omelets for everybody? Happy Birthday, love. That, that makes me angry”, he continued. (It was Gad’s birthday today!) “That sounds fresh!” exclaimed Bill Hader.
7. The island is invaded by mysterious green pigs that (SPOILER ALERT) want to steal the birds’ eggs, which they consider to be a delicacy.
8. As the voice behind Leonard, the pigs’ spokesman, Hader channeled his father as inspiration for the character. “The hee-haw music man… very jolly and excited… Basically, it’s… my dad,” he explained, “I’m doing an impression of my father.” When asked why he wanted to take on the role, he answered, “My agent called me and said, ‘They’re making an Angry Birds movie, and they want you to play a pig.’ “I mean, you guys draw your own conclusions.”
9. Peter Dinklage plays the legendary Mighty Eagle, a figure of myth for the birds, who’s introduced with a very funny scene in which his character is peeing. Following the scene, we were shown a potential marketing poster with the quote, “Urine for a treat.”
10. The guys all have their own obsessions with the mobile game. Hader stated he became obsessed with the app while on a layover for a few hours. Gad explained that he has become so obsessed with the “Star Wars” version of the app that in between scenes on set he’ll tell everyone not to talk to him while he plays the games. “I just buy my way to victory,” said Danny McBride who plays Bomb. Sudeikis, on the other hand, plays “the old version, where you just throw birds at things.”
11. They’re not too sure if their kids will identify them in the film. The funny guys each stated whom their own kids often mistake them for. Hader revealed his kids always think he is “The Office” actor Rainn Wilson. “My kids think I’m Ed Helms,” stated Sudeikis. Gad finished it off by sharing that his kids think he’s El Chapo, and he is NOT happy about that!
Circling back to the game, these birds are now actual characters with a story. It’s really cool that the Angry Birds that we know from the mobile game now get flushed out with their own backstories, which will make playing the game even more awesome!
“The Angry Birds Movie” blasts into theaters May 20.
Are YOU excited for the new movie? Which version of the game is your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below!!